Thank you so much to Jane over at janeridgewood.com for nominating me for the Sunshine Blogger Award! I’ve seen this award all over wordpress and never imagined I’d be nominated! That was a lovely thing to wake up to this morning. If you don’t already, go follow Jane. She posts really cool bookish and writing posts and is super inspiring.
For those who don’t know, the Sunshine Blogger Award is an award presented to blogs that are seen as positive, inspiring, and creative.
The Rules of the Award
• Thank the person who nominated you and provide a link back to them.
• Answer the 11 questions asked by the blogger who nominated you.
• Nominate 11 other bloggers and ask them 11 new questions.
• Notify the nominees by commenting on one of their blog posts.
• List the rules and display the Sunshine Blogger Award logo on your post.
01. What are you currently reading right now and are you enjoying it?
I’m currently reading the first book in The Expanse series, called Leviathan Wakes. I LOVE it so far. It’s been a long time since I’ve read a good sci-fi book, and this one definitely doesn’t disappoint. I will have a review up as soon as I power through it.
02. On average about how many books do you read a year?
My reading streaks have not bee the best, mostly because with my depression and anxiety, staying focused on a book was just too much for me and I would lose interest quickly. But now that I’m getting my mental health under control, I have already finished my yearly reading challenge on goodreads, which was to read a book a month. I plan to increase that challenge next year!
03. When was the last time you sent a handwritten letter in the mail?
A long time, which is unfortunate because I love writing letters by hand. If anyone is interested in becoming a snail mail penpal, let me know! There’s something so magical about receiving a letter in the mail. It’s almost as nice as giving presents to friends around the holidays.
04. Do you know how to write and read in cursive?
Yes, I do! My handwriting is usually a combination of printing and cursive, but I do know how to write fully in cursive. At the History Center where I work, many of the letters are handwritten in cursive and the writing was so neat and ordered back then! I don’t know how they wrote with such steady, even strokes. Handwriting really is a lost art.
05. How do you feel about schools having stopped teaching cursive?
I suppose it just goes with the times, but it’s a little sad. I think cursive handwriting is so pretty and elegant. How boring the world will be with no cursive.
06. Halloween is my favorite holiday, what is yours?
My favorite holiday is christmas because I love the feeling that special little pocket of time in December creates. It’s like Christmas is sandwiched between Thanksgiving and New Years, and everything that happens in between there is just pure magic. I’m also a huge fan of Halloween too, though. I love all that spooky stuff.
07. Do you have any fun Halloween traditions?
On Halloween night, my sister and I read our tarot cards for each other, and then spend the rest of the night giving out candy and watching horror movies. It’s nice being able to spend time with her and make the night special.
08. Tell me one random fact about you that others may find odd.
I talk to myself in my car while driving. I comment on traffic, scenery, and mostly just talk about my book ideas out loud so I can hear how weird they sound.
09. Have you ever given advice to someone else that you did not follow yourself?
Yep! I’m mostly a morally upstanding citizen, but sometimes my advice borders on immoral behavior, because I know a lot of my friends are just going to do the morally dubious stuff anyways. Like, “Should I go drinking again tonight? It’s the third night in a row”, me: “Suuuuure! YOLO!”
10. What is your favorite activity in the fall season?
I love going for walks on the crunchy leaves. Walking through the forests around my house always puts me in the fall mood. I love being in nature, and seeing how the world changes when everything dies is really magical. Sometimes I like to sit on park benches and watch the leaves fall. I live a very exciting life!
11. What kind of music do you enjoy listening to the most?
My favorite kind of music is instrumental, soundtracks, and classical. I find that I write well when listening to instrumentals, and it helps to calm me down. Also, there’s usually nothing triggering in that sort of music, so I don’t get flooded with negative emotions when a certain lyric comes on. One of my favorites is Bohren & Der Club of Gore. They do dark jazz that is SO inspiring for writing noir scenes in fiction. GO LISTEN, YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!
01. What is a quote you think about often?
02. Why did you start blogging?
03. What are some of your blogging goals?
04. Who is your favorite fictional character?
05. What is one thing on your bucket list?
06. what song always peps you up and gets you excited for life?
07. What is your idea of a perfect friday night?
08. Who is the most inspiring person for you?
09. What one piece of advice would you give someone starting out in the blogging world?
10. Where do you see yourself one year from now?
11. What is your favorite childhood memory?
If you’d like to participate, even if I haven’t tagged you, please link me to your posts so I can read your answers and get to know you all a little better.
Take care, and don’t forget to take your medications!